Research Scientist – Bioinformatics Evolutionary Biology Unit
+61 8 8313 3925
Position at Other Organisation
Affiliate lecturer, Department of Genetics and Evolution, School of Biological Sciences, University of Adelaide
The overarching principle behind my work is to gain an understanding of why genomes are organised the way they are, how they evolve and how they differ between organisms. I use computational methods to analyse high-throughput genome and gene transcript sequence data to address evolutionary questions more comprehensively. In collaboration with researchers from a number of universities and other research organisations, my current projects involve novel methods for the development of phylogenetic markers, increasing the robustness of phylogenetic datasets and studying the evolution of genes and repetitive genome elements.
Current Research Projects
Resolving the taxonomy of bandicoots and bilbies: taxa on the brink of extinction. K. Travouillon, SJB Cooper, T. Bertozzi. 2018. Australian Biological Resources Study. $30, 000.
Adaptation to life in the dark: genomic analyses of blind beetles. S. Cooper, A. Austin, T. Bertozzi and W. Humphreys. 2018. ARC Discovery $317,000
Unravelling the taxonomy and identification of a problematic group of fishes across northern Australia (Gobidae: Glossogobius). M. Hammer, T. Bertozzi and D. Hoese. 2017. Australian Biological Resources Study, Bush Blitz Tactical Taxonomy Grant Scheme $16,000.
- Member, The Australian Bioinformatics And Computational Biology Society Inc.
- Member, Society of Australian Systematic Biologists
BSc, University of Adelaide (1989)
BSc (Hons), University of Adelaide (1990)
PhD, University of Adelaide (2003)
Langille B, Bertozzi T, Tierney S, Humphreys W, Austin A, Cooper S. (2017) Molecular evolution of ‘eye genes’ in blind diving beetles from the calcrete archipelago of Western Australia: evidence for neutral evolution of phototransduction genes. 24th International Conference on Subterranean Biology, Ausgust 10-24, University of Aveiro, Portugal.
Bertozzi T. (2018) Phylogenetics using Next Generation Sequencing data. 5th National Postgraduate Training Workshop in Systematics, July 8-13, Adelaide, Australia (Invited Speaker).
Langille B, Bertozzi T, Tierney S, Humphreys W, Austin A, Cooper S. (2017) Molecular evolution of ‘eye genes’ in blind beetles – evidence for neutral evolution of phototransduction genes. Systematics 2017, November 27-29, Adelaide, Australia.
Stringer DN, Bertozzi T, Guzik MT, Tierney SM, King RA, Meusemann K, Mayer C, Zwick A, Cooper SJB, Austin AD. (2017) Taxonomy and sequence capture of Haloniscus isopods from threatened arid zone groundwater habitats. Systematics 2017, November 27-29, Adelaide, Australia.
Zeng L, Kortschak RD, Raison JM, Bertozzi T, Adelson DL (2017) Superior de novo Identification, Annotation and Characterisation of TEs and Segmental Duplications from Genome Assemblies. The Mobile Genome: Genetic and Physiological Impacts of Transposable Elements, October 11 – 14, Heidelberg, Germany.
- Ivancevic AM, Kortschak RD, Bertozzi T, Adelson DL. (2018). Horizontal transfer of BovB and L1 retrotransposons in eukaryotes. Genome Biology 19, 85.
- Fagan-Jeffries EP, Cooper SJB, Bertozzi T, Bradford TM, Austin AD. (2018). DNA barcoding of microgastrine parasitoid wasps (Hymenoptera: Braconidae) using high-throughput methods more than doubles the number of species known for Australia. Molecular Ecology Resources 18, 1132-1143.
- Brazenor AK, Bertozzi T, Miller TL, Whittington ID, Hutson KS. (2018). DNA profiling reveals Neobenedenia girellae as the primary culprit in global fisheries and aquaculture. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 129, 130-137.
- Zeng L, Kortschak RD, Raison JM, Bertozzi T, Adelson DL. (2018). Superior ab initio identification, annotation and characterisation of TEs and segmental duplications from genome assemblies. PLOS ONE 13(3): e0193588.
- Hacking J, Bertozzi T, Moussalli A, Bradford T, Gardner M. (2108). Characterisation of major histocompatibility complex class I transcripts in an Australian dragon lizard. Developmental and Comparative Immunology 84, 164-171.
- Mobaseri M, Pedram M, Pourjam E, Bertozzi T. (2017). Description of a new species of seed-gall nematode, Anguina obesa n. sp. (Nematoda: Anguinidae) from northern Iran, and its phylogenetic relations with other species and genera. European Journal of Plant Pathology 148, 423-434
- Ivancevic, AM, Kortschak, RD, Bertozzi T, Adelson, DL. (2016). LINEs between species: Evolutionary dynamics of LINE-1 retrotransposons across the eukaryotic tree of life Genome Biology and Evolution 8, 3301–3322.
- Javidkar M, Cooper SJB, King RA, Humphreys WF,Bertozzi T, Stevens MI, Austin AD. (2106). Molecular systematics and biodiversity of oniscidean isopods in the groundwater calcretes of central Western Australia. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 104, 83–98.
- Bertozzi T, Lee MSY, Donnellan SC. (2016). Stingray diversification across the end-Cretaceous extinctions. Memoirs of Museum Victoria 74, 379–390 (Open access).
- Cope TM, Bertozzi T, Mulder RA, Donnellan SC. (2016). Isolation and characterisation of 12 polymorphic microsatellite loci for the threatened mound-building malleefowl, Leipoa ocellata (Aves: Megapodiidae). Australian Journal of Zoology 64, 33–35.
PERL script for generating anonymous nuclear markers from high-throughput genome sequence (referenced in Bertozzi et al. 2012. Bioinformatics 28: 1807–1810).
A list of my published analysis scripts organised by publication can be found here