A highly successful and innovative program for Aboriginal students in Years 10–12 has been running at the South Australian Museum since 2005 and will be available again in 2013.
The program offers culturally appropriate, structured work-place learning opportunities for Aboriginal students undertaking SACE courses.
Students will have the opportunity to:
- work in collaboration with DECD education officers and the museum's Aboriginal staff;
- develop their knowledge, skills and confidence in working with school groups visiting the Australian Aboriginal Cultures Gallery and upon completion of the program, present hands-on artefact activities to visiting school groups in the gallery;
- visit the museum archives, meet the Indigenous staff and investigate how the Aboriginal Family History program is being used by Aboriginal communities today;
- undertake a special investigation into an area of the museum that interests them with a particular focus on careers, or develop a tour and present their findings to the whole group;
- visit the museum store and investigate how the Ara Irititja Project utilises new technologies to assist Anangu Pitjantjatjara and Yunkuntjatjara communities to collect and document their history and make it accessible for their families;
- explore the museum's Indigenous collections and discover how Indigenous communities use them;
- record their learning experiences using video cameras.
Feedback and evaluation of the students' participation and achievements throughout the program will be negotiated with students, teachers and museum staff. Students and museum education staff will complete evaluation forms and each student will receive a museum certificate upon completion of the program. Students negotiate with their teachers for the program outcomes to be included as a component of SACE Stage 1 or 2 Community Studies or Aboriginal Studies.
The 2013 Program
The program will occur during terms 2 & 3 on consecutive Wednesdays for four weeks.
Week 6 - 5 June;
Week 7 - 12 June,
Week 8 - 19 June,
Week 9, - 26 June
Week 2 - 31 July,
Week 3, 7 August
Week 4, 14 August
Week 5, 21 August.
We are now inviting expressions of interest in this program for 2013. Please contact Chris Nobbs, Education Officer, at the Education Office to register your interest or for more information.